Beginnings of the Friends of the Manila Cathedral
During one of the meetings of the Manila Cathedral Cultural Foundation, Mrs. Leticia C. Syquia suggested the idea of coming up with the Friends of the Manila Cathedral to act as a support group to the program committee and to generate initial funds through membership.
Mrs. Syquia, was determined to pursue the idea. As Chairman of the Program Committee she initiated and hosted meetings at her residence. Primarily, the program committee was composed of herself, Mr. Danilo Dolor, Mr. & Mrs. Leo Renier, Fr. Carlo Magno Marcelo and Msgr. Nestor C. Cerbo.
Mrs. Syquia continued to seek for individuals who can help in organizing the Friends of the Manila Cathedral, and then came Mrs. Cynthia Pastor, Ms. Concepcion Poblador, Mr. Bobet Vera, Ms. Ditas Posadas, Ms. Mercedes Diaz and Ms. Patricia Soriano. On the other hand, Mrs. Amelita Guevarra was tapped to help organize the Gala Concert for December.
As the planning progress, the group elected from among themselves the officers of the Friends of the Manila Cathedral. They also committed themselves to be the first individual members of the organization and to campaign for more members.
President: Mrs. Leticia Syquia
Vice Presidents: Mr. Danilo Dolor & Mrs. Cynthia Pastor
Secretary: s. Ditas Posadas
Treasurer: Ms. Mercedes Diaz
Asst. Treasurer: Ms. Patricia Soriano
Auditor: Mr. Jose Luis Vera
PRO: Ms. Concepcion Poblador
Adviser: Msgr. Nestor Cerbo
There are (3) individual membership categories to choose from: platinum, gold and silver. Corporate members are most welcome.
The membership has the following entitlements:
1. Invitation to the Solemnity Mass of Mary, the Immaculate Conception
2. One (1) ticket for Gold Member, two (2) for Platinum member, five (5) for Corporate member to the MCB Pipe Organ Festival Gala Concert or any fundraising concerts and events and invitation to a reception for Gold and Platinum and Corporate members
3. Special seating for members according to category.
4. Acknowledgement of their membership in the MCB Pipe Organ Souvenir Program
5. Inclusion of the members’ intentions during the mass every 1st Saturday of the month in honor of Mary, the Immaculate Conception.
Several memberships came in through the efforts of the committee members.
A suggestion was made to come up with a simple gathering for the current members of the Friends of the Manila Cathedral and to invite possible individuals and corporations who might be interested to join. As this suggestion developed, the officers agreed to have the Induction of Officers and the formal Launch of the Friends of the Manila Cathedral on August 26, 2009 at North Forbes Park Pavillion.